Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Trip to Grinzing...and my glass of water

Last Friday, most of us newbies took a few train rides and a bus up a small mountain, Kahlenberg, outside of Vienna.  We went to a village called Grinzing, which is affiliated with wineries, Mozart, and its spectacular view of the city.  (If you want to read more about Grinzing, you can click here.)

Here are some photos from the trip...

Flowers!

Some old church that we didn't know anything about because its descriptions were in German.

There's a university on the mountain!  
How cool!

One of the many Biergartens on the mountain and in the village.
We went to one later in the night, which I'll describe later in this post.

It costs 50 cents (Euros) to use the water closet/toilet.

A pretty restaurant we passed



Who some of the newbies are:
(and any interesting info I remember about them)

Brian and Mallory are two of my favorites, so far.  (Shhh!)  
Brian is from California, and Mallory is from the Indianapolis area.  The three of us click really well, and we all got excited together at the thrift store last week.  :)

Jessica, Christine, me, Becca
Jessica is also a Taylor University graduate, although we didn't know each other because she's much younger than me.

Lou (Louise), Amy, Mallory again, and Sarah

(Oops.  This photo should have come after the next one.)
Anyways, this is Jorgen.  ("Your-genn")  He's a student at our school, and this is the second year he and his family have lived and worked in Vienna.
He acquired pieces of this traditional outfit since he's been here, and he was super excited about wearing it on our outing.  :)
We also ended up sitting next to each other on the crammed bus, and he told me all sorts of random facts about Hitler.  I think I'm impressed more than worried.  :-P

Jorgen and his awesome, amazing dad named Tom, who has a great attitude about driving single women and their personal belongings all over the city, even when he's exhausted.
I seriously owe this guy cookies or something!

Most of the females on the trip:
Traci, another Sarah, me, Michelle (Tom's wife), Maryah (her daughter), Sarah, Andrea
(Andrea was originally going to be my roommate, but Christine was hired a few months ago and wanted a roommate more than I did.  Now, Andrea and I have classrooms next to each other, so it's worked out well.)


Views of the city and the countryside from the top!








A funky trash bin 

Our group photo, minus Tom

There are two other families on the right that I'll label and describe later, as I get to know them better.

While walking, we were able to drink the delicious, fresh Alpine water, right out of the mountain!

Standing on a wall...which was, actually, kinda scary...

Maryah and Lydia, the daughter of another family

This is the Biergarten where we ate later and where I drank - yep, you guessed it - water.






Random signs in the restaurant

Here's my meal - Chicken Schnitzel, Pommes Frittes, my water pitcher, and cake which I'd originally thought was Cinnamon Cake.  After several bites, I figured out it was Rum Cake.

It's very important to note the location of the water pitcher in terms of the cup on the left because of the story I'm about to tell you.

Ok.  The waiter took everyone's drink orders, and I was the only one who ordered water.  After he took our orders, he put the receipt in this glass and let us go into the building to get our food.  (We ate outside, and I was too hungry to remember to take group photo.  Bummer)

When we came back to our table, it was set up like this for me.  He'd brought everyone their beer or wine or whatever in its original bottle, and he brought a glass for them, so I took the receipt out of the glass and poured my water in it and started drinking out of it.

Perfectly normal rationale, I would think.


About halfway through the meal, one of the girls grabbed my glass and passed it down the table.  I was like, "What are you doing with my water??"  She didn't hear me, and another girl was confused about why there was water in the glass.  

Finally, someone said I'd been drinking out of it, and they all looked at me funny.  It turned out that the receipt had been put in a glass so that people could put their drink money in it throughout the night.

Oops!

For the record, I didn't care and kept drinking out of it, because the waiter never did bring me my own glass.  :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment