Friday, August 17, 2012

Some random info about my school and Austrian culture

Hi All,

So, I still don't have the Internet in my apartment, and it looks like it might be awhile yet because the school's main computer technician has gone to the U.S. to order our phones.  (Don't ask; I don't get it, either.)

At any rate, I'll share some info with you really quickly before my battery dies here in McDonald's:
  • Austrians love dogs.  It's culturally acceptable for people to bring their dogs EVERYWHERE - trains, buses, restaurants, stores...everywhere!  I'm used to it now, but it was THE weirdest thing to see a huge collie walking beside me at the grocery store last week!
  • The legal age to drink and smoke here is 16.
  • In a Monday meeting at school, I learned that 1/500 people in Austria claim to be Christian evangelicals.  This statistic means there are more dogs than proclaimed Christians in this country.  Talk about a new perspective!
  • Last year at ICSV, there were students representing 52 different nationalities!  (When the school has cleaned up a bit from all of its repainting and moving around, I'll take a photo of our hallway of international flags in the entryway.  It's a beautiful thing!)  :)
  • Not all of our students will be missionary students or international students.  We were also told on Monday that we often receive Austrian students who have been kicked out of the public school system.  This may or may not be the kid's fault, since national teachers are prone to belittle the students and generally be demeaning.  So sad.  :(
  • I found out - FINALLY! - what I'll be teaching:  English 9, English 10, English 10 - Honors, and English 12.
  • As I mentioned in a blog post a few months ago, I'll be using American curriculum, which I'll be more than happy to get used to using again.  
  • Our school day contains 7 class periods, and each day is basically the same - except for Wednesdays, which is when we have chapel.  I'll have to get used to having a routine schedule again, because my teaching schedule in Indonesia was different every day.
  • Next week, there will be a meeting for 2 other teachers and me to discuss the school's drama and musical programs for this year.  Apparently, this is a big draw for our school, and the public likes to attend these events.  While I'm very excited at the thought I won't be alone in doing the drama, there's a bit of pressure knowing all of this.  Oh well.  God's always the director of these things, anyways!
That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment