Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Viennese legend of the Basilisk

I'm beginning a week off of school called Energy Break.  Most teachers at school are leaving Vienna for the week, but I've voted to stay, mainly b/c I just want to chill, but also b/c there's just so much to see and do in this city.

As I wrote in my posts about the Museum of Military History, I began researching online several weeks ago for adventurous ideas for this week.  I randomly found this Viennese legend of something called the Basilisk. It's one of THE weirdest stories ever, and you can read it here.

I had a wild and crazy time trying to find the house where this alleged incident took place, but I finally did, and then I dragged my frozen self to the restaurant across the street that commemorates this legend.


It allegedly occurred in the year 1212.


Underneath the tourist sign is another plaque of Jews' names that used to live in the building but were deported.



 (No idea.  Something about its past renovations, maybe??)


These are murals depicting events in the story.





I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS!  Soooooo weird!


Here's the restaurant I was telling you about, w/ its logo of the Basilisk on the right.

Even though I'd eaten lunch an hour earlier, I was absolutely freezing, so I popped inside for awhile.


These 3 coffees have nothing in common, but it's smart to market a drink that's named after a creepy legend, right?
Guess which one I got?




I ended up getting THE best Apfelstrudel in the WORLD (I ate it before I remembered to take a photo), and I did order the Basilisken Kaffee.  Because I am that cool.  :)

I went home after this, having worn myself out from soooo much walking in the wind and cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment