Sunday, February 17, 2013

Museum of Military History - Photos Round 1

A few weeks ago, I went to the Museum of Military History, a.k.a. Heeresgeschichtliches Museum.  (Website here.)  I stumbled upon the website several weeks ago, while I was making a list of things to do in Vienna, since there's so much history here.  
I discovered that the museum offers free admission on the first Sunday of each month, and I had the time and energy to go then, so it was great timing.  
(Also, the sun was out and the day was gorgeous!)

The museum is divided into several sections that are dedicated to various wars involving Austria over the past several hundred years.

I have so many photos that I've divided them into 2 blog posts.  I'll provide commentary on the occasional photo, but for the most part, I had no idea what I was looking at.

Enjoy!


I walked probably a mile that day in the COLD, and I got excited when I saw this building.  
Alas, it wasn't the museum.



I walked through this building...


...through a courtyard...





...and FINALLY found the museum.  :)


Strange things in the parking lot



Foyer








This is the car Archduke Franz Ferdinand was riding in when he was assassinated, which then led to WWI.

The uniform he was wearing was also on display in a case beside the car, but I didn't think it was very kosher to take a photo of it.  (And I was kind of nauseous looking at it.)


(K-niggits!)



I took this to contrast the grandeur with the violent weaponry.








No comments:

Post a Comment