Sunday, April 21, 2013

A day on the Donau, and the Urania

Last weekend was GLORIOUSLY beautiful, and it was actually warm enough to walk around in shorts and sandals.  (Woo hoo!)  

When that happens, apparently, everyone in Vienna and their dog - literally - sunbathes along the Donau (Danube River).  What they choose to wear and not wear still boggles my mind; Europeans truly have no shame when it comes to showing skin.

I tried to have some devo time along the Donau but ended up getting eaten by bugs in the grass, so I just took a long walk.

(I took a ton of photos and don't have time for too much commentary, so...enjoy!)




(Mexicoplatz, from an October post, is on the right, in the background.)


I'm not sure, but I think this is the tallest building in the business sector of Vienna.  Here, it connects the river area to the business sector, which is where the U.N. is located.




I'm not sure why, but kids can jump on the river.  (???)









This isn't a super-great photo, but I finally have one of me on the Donau with the Alps in the background!  :)


Alps!


I'm pretty sure this is Kalenberg, which is in the Grinzig area that I went to at the end of my first week here.  (See my August posts.)





*Tsk tsk*






In another part of the city, still along the Donau, is the Urania.  (Click here for more information.)
It's a historic observatory that suffered some bomb damage in WWII but is now reopened to the public.
(I didn't go in and probably won't.)


Side view of the Urania, along the river

No comments:

Post a Comment