Sunday, October 21, 2012

City life randomness

I have good news and bad news:
Good - I've been taking lots of photos of city life here.
Bad - I've been forgetting to share them with you on a consistent basis.

Therefore, this mezcla of photos is a bit random.

Enjoy!

*******
I found this cute old man playing the accordion outside a train station.  He let me take his photo after I gave him money.  (His playing was nice, too - not obnoxious!)


Back in September, I had to take a day off of school because I was burned out.  I was struggling with balancing too many things and having a rough time with culture shock, so I took a Thursday off to rest.

Ironically, I got a message from one of my aunts named Rowena, who said she and my uncle Jim would be passing through Vienna on that day.  To make a long story short, we were able to meet up for a few hours.

It was seriously ironic; I PROMISE it wasn't planned in advance!

On my way to find them, I had an adventuresome trek getting to their arrival point.


It involved me trekking along the Danube River...


...ducking under bridges...


...enjoying the beautiful, Fall trees...


(Is this a castle or a church at the top?)


...and walking under yet another bridge.  (I was beginning to feel like a troll.)


We found each other!  Yay!  :)

I hopped on their tour bus and got my first official (and free!) city tour.  It was interesting, but it passed through many places where I've already been, so I didn't see too many new sights, but, oh well.


This is a close-up view of a balcony on the Neue Burg, where Hitler announced an "Anschluss" between Austria and Germany.  He stood behind the railing, right above the red banner.



In front of the Imperial Palace again


This statue is to honor the victims of the Black Plague in 1713.


Typical city street

(This one is around the corner from where I live.)


Flower shops are everywhere.  Austrians sure love their flowers!


Two bread stores next to each other

Why, I have no idea, but Austrians definitely love their bread, too!



I've never eaten here, but I get a kick out of its name.  :)











I randomly found this basket market one night with my friend, Sarah.


So cute!





No comments:

Post a Comment